It’s not enough to just be the best dressed man in the room if your grooming game isn’t on point. Taking care of the little things can often separate you from the crowd.
Knowing the secrets to good grooming helps others around you be comfortable while forming their opinions of you. The average man doesn’t take enough care of his body, but the stylish man keeps his body well-groomed.
Without further ado, here are ten grooming hacks to help simplify and boost your grooming game:
1. Wash Your Hair Less Often
Everyday use of shampoo and conditioner will damage your hair no matter the product. Shampooing is necessary to remove the dirt, sweat and dandruff that your hair collects. But the soap in shampoo dries your scalp and hair making it frizzy and straw-like.
Washing your hair three times or fewer in a week can help make it manageable. This will also keep your hair healthier.
- Botanic Hearth Biotin Shampoo & Conditioner Set – $21
- Pure Biology Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo & Conditioner Set – $23
- Old Spice Timber for Men Shampoo & Conditioner Twin Pack – $15
- Old Spice Fiji for Men Shampoo & Conditioner Twin Pack – $15
2. Fix Hair Frizz With Conditioner
If your hair is frizzy all over and you need a sudden fix for an emergency, try this. Rub a small amount of hair conditioner through your hair and soften it without having to wash your hair.
You can also use a pinch of hand cream or facial moisturizer as an immediate fix for hair frizz. Additionally, there are hair creams that can help to alleviate flyaways and frizzy hair.
- Grooming Lounge Power Shower Set – $60 (15% off w/code GENT15)
- ORIBE Conditioner for Brilliance & Shine – $52
- Ginger Lily Farms Club & Fitness Conditioner- $16
3. Protect Shaving Cuts With Lip Balm
In addition to being convenient to carry around, lip balm has other uses beyond lip treatment. Men often cut themselves while shaving. You may not immediately find ways to stop the bleeding and may resort to using band-aids which is not the best look.
An easier solution to band aids is to use lip balm to treat your cuts. The waxy nature of lip-balm will help ease the bleeding and seal the wound.
Historical Fact: Aftershaves have been used from over a couple of thousand years by men to treat shaving cuts. Even from ancient times, aftershaves have contained alcohol which acts as an antiseptic to kill germs before they enter the cut.
This has saved lives as the alcohol in aftershaves prevents infections from affecting the body through shaving cuts. And so, don’t forget to use aftershave.
Lip Balm Recommendations:
- NIVEA Moisture Lip Care (6-pack) – $17
- Carmex Classic Lip Balm Tube (3 count) – $6
- Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm (6-pack) – $13
- Brickell Men’s No Shine Lip Balm for Men (single) – $7.5
4. Keep Your Teeth White With Hydrogen Peroxide
Keeping your teeth white helps amplify your smile and score points in public. It’s not an expensive hassle these days to get your teeth whitened as you don’t need a dentist for it.
Anyone can buy simple teeth whitening kits online or at a pharmacy for an affordable price. If you want to simplify it even further, there are whitening mouthwashes and toothpastes available which do the trick to an extent.
Hydrogen peroxide is also a well-kept secret to help whiten teeth. It works better than any other solution out there. Just remember to dilute it with water so that it’s not so concentrated. In addition to whitening teeth, hydrogen peroxide can heal cuts in your mouth and help you avoid a sore throat.
Take Caution: If your teeth are sensitive, then take caution with hydrogen peroxide or whitening kits as you may face some pain while using these whitening tools. If you feel any pain, I recommend having a dentist take a look.
Teeth Whitening Recommendations:
- Solimo Hydrogen Peroxide (6-pack) – $14
- Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips (44 count) – $45
- Hello Oral Care Charcoal Whitening Toothpaste (Twin pack) – $16
5. Freshen Your Breath With Mints
When you’re out to grab a bite with someone or finish a meal at an event and find your breath stinking, things may go sour. Bad breath can be repulsive when you’re with people but there’s an easy trick you can carry up your sleeve. (Actually it’s better off carried in your pocket.)
Having a pack of chewing gum or breath mint will prove beneficial to you and those around you. Along with your breath, this also freshens up your conversations by giving you confidence and a more positive mindset.
Bonus Tip: Gum and mints only help to mask bad breath, whereas using a tool like a tongue scraper addresses the issue directly. It’s not only effective, but a complete game changer for fresher breath and a cleaner mouth.
Breath Freshening Recommendations:
- Altoids Classic Wintergreen Breath Mints (76 count, 12-pack) – $27
- Epic Dental 100% Xylitol Sweetened Mints (60 count, 5-pack) – $16
- Nature’s Way Parsley Leaf (100 count, 2-pack) – $21
Quick note: If you’re enjoying this article on grooming hacks for men, then you’ll probably find my other writing on all things men’s style, fitness and grooming useful. Each week, I share updates, style tips and other things not shared on the blog through my free email newsletter.
To join now, just enter your email address below and click “Get Updates!”
6. Start With A Shower Routine
We all shower everyday (at least I hope so), but having a set routine for what to do in during that saves time and will have added benefits to your grooming game.
Additionally, trimming the hair on your face and body in the shower can save time. And clipping your nails before the shower once a week helps set it into a system where you won’t have to worry about overgrown nails.
Bonus Tip: Cold showers (shudders) are less irritating to the skin. Showering in hot water feels comfortable but it’s not as good for your hair and skin. Try taking cold showers during the winter time as it can be beneficial for dry skin.
7. Heal Your Dry Lips Overnight
We men sometimes hesitate to use lip-balms because of the shiny appearance. But it’s a better alternative to dry and cracked lips.
There’s a way to use it without being seen. Apply a bit of lip-balm before you sleep. And this need not be daily. Alternate days is enough to keep your lips healthy.
Bonus Tip: Another magical use of lip-balm is by applying it across your nails on your hands at least once a week. This will keep your nails fresh and prevent damage to the skin around your cuticles.
8. Substitute Shaving Cream For Soap
There are better alternatives to shaving cream which will reduce dry skin and prevent razor burns. These substitute products are olive oil, soap, cooking oil, and conditioner.
You need to take a teaspoon of any one of these products and rub it in circles around on your face. The excess material can be washed off after you shave as usual.
Bonus Tip: If you’re letting your beard grow and it gets itchy, don’t lose hope and shave it. Just use a conditioner on your beard while you shower. This will make your beard soft and
Bar Soap Recommendations:
- Fresh Pine Bay Rum Bar Soap (Organic, US Made) – $10
- Bay Rum Soap by Dr. Squatch (Organic, US Made) – $10
9. Establish A Proper Skincare Routine
Skin care is avoided by many men which is a critical blow to their style. But these days, guys are more cognizant to the benefits of proper skincare.
Here are the basics which are important for healthy skin.
- Sunscreen in the morning helps protect your skin from harmful UV rays of the sun which can cause skin cancer
- Use face wash to clean and revitalize your skin, preferably in the AM
- Use an exfoliating scrub once a week to remove dead skin cells
- Moisturizer in the evening helps prevent dry skin and keeps it soft
Bonus Tip: If you need to pop pimples (not recommended), gently squeeze the spot with tissues covering your fingertips. This prevents your nails from cutting your skin and bacteria from your fingers doesn’t touch the wound.
Men’s Skincare Recommendations:
- Otis Skincare for Men (Prestige skincare made in France) – $147
- Brickell Men’s Face Care Routine (Wash, Scrub, Moisturize) – $77
- Derma-Nu for Men Skin Care Set (Organic face wash, scrub & moisturizer) – $36
10. Learn These Basic Haircut Rules
Start a friendly conversation to develop trust and connection with your barber/stylist. This will help him understand what you are looking for so that he can give a haircut well suited for you.
Also, it may be a good idea to change the place where you get your haircut to experiment with different hair artists and find the perfect one for you. And whenever you visit a new barber, tell him how long it has been since your previous haircut. This will help him understand your hair and do his best work.
Additionally, remember to do your own research and learn which hairstyles are suited for your face shape as this will improve your style.
And finally, if you’re dealing with male pattern baldness, keep your sides cropped short. This will hide your imperfections and give you an edgier look. Try to get a haircut around once a month, even if you are letting your hair grow out. This will help in keeping it clean with touch-ups and fixes which will keep your hairstyle clean and presentable.
Men’s Hair Product Recommendations: (what I’m currently using)
- KMS HairStay (My current go-to hairspray – 8.4 oz) – $19
- By Vilain Gold Digger Hair Wax(Extreme hold, matte finish) – $26
- By Vilain Wax Zero Travel Size (Strong hold, natural finish) – $12
- By Vilain Silver Fox Hair Wax (Extreme hold, moderate shine) – $26
- By Vilain Sidekick Zero Hairstyling Spray (Hold, Anti-Frizz) – $30
These aren’t rules but more of a guideline to simplify your grooming game. A man’s clothing can only take him as far as his grooming.
I hope this helps you out. Let me know in the comments which of these you’ve tried out and if you have any other hack you’d like to share.
Kronos Ananthsimha is an adventure author, freelance editor, and blogger. He recently graduated college and can be found in Bangalore, India. You can check out his articles on books, self improvement and men’s style.
Which of these grooming hacks will you be putting to use?
Let’s continue the discussion over in the Gentlemen Within Private Facebook Community.
Looking forward to seeing you in there.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Get more posts like this plus style tips & advice delivered straight to your inbox.