There are many types of jackets for sartorial minded gents to experiment with, and (in my opinion) these are the best jackets for men that you’ll definitely want to know about.
In this article I break down the 5 best fall and winter jackets for men, how to wear them (style guide) and where you can buy them at different price points.
THE BEST JACKETS FOR MEN
Subscribe to the Gentleman Within YouTube channel.
These casual jackets are my top 5 men’s jacket styles that I feel are equal parts seasonally appropriate, versatile and stylish.
1. The Bomber Jacket
The bomber jacket dates back to the 1950s and has its roots firmly imprinted in the European and United States military.
There are many varieties of the bomber jacket, from the ‘letterman’ jacket, popular among high-school teenagers to the baseball varsity bomber jacket. Then there’s of course the iconic Alpha Industries bomber. These jackets are typically distinguished by a ribbed collar, waistband and cuffs.
Today the bomber jacket is one of the most iconic fashion pieces in pop culture, worn by celebrities, athletes and regular civilians.
How To Wear A Bomber Jacket
The bomber jacket is one of the more popular men’s jackets and is best suited for the spring and fall seasons when it’s not too hot or cold.
Additionally, a suede or wool bomber jacket can work with monochrome athleisure looks. Or a slightly more dressy look, for example, over top of a button down and crew neck sweater.
Where To Buy A Bomber Jacket
Budget Options (Under $100)
- ASOS New Look Bomber Jacket – $42
- Bershka Navy Bomber Jacket – $29.90
- Topman Green Bomber Jacket – $65
- Zara Basic Bomber Jacket – $49.90
- Banana Republic Water Resistant Bomber Jacket –
- ASOS Design Jersey Bomber Jacket – $32
- Goodfellow & Co. Colorblock Bomber Jacket – $39.99
- Everlane Bomber Jacket Uniform – $88 ($66 Sale)
Mid-Level Options ($100-$500)
- ASOS DESIGN Suede Bomber Jacket – $158
- Alpha Industries MA-1 Skymaster Flight Jacket – $150
- Bonobos Bomber Jacket –
$168($68 Final Sale)
- BlankNYC Suede Bomber Jacket – $150+
- Club Monaco Beige Shell Bomber Jacket – $285
Grail Options ($500+)
- A.P.C. Gaston Checked Bomber Jacket – $545
- Golden Bear Suede Bomber Jacket –
- A.P.C. Shell Bomber Jacket –
$515($206 Sale – One Left)
- PS Paul Smith Cotton Twill Bomber Jacket – $495
2. The Leather Jacket
A leather jacket is the grail piece of all the jackets on this list and definitely one The motorcycle (or biker) leather jacket particularly, is a rakish as it gets.
It’s one of those types of jackets that when confidently pulled off, will surely channel those James Dean bad boy vibes with or without the bike.
In addition to the motorcycle jacket, there’s also the racer, and bomber jacket variety as well. And if it’s thick enough, it can serve as a warm winter jacket.
How To Wear A Leather Jacket
Should Guys Wear Leather Jackets?
The beauty of leather jackets are how many different varieties there are. More than likely you’ll be able to pick a style that resonates with your aesthetic.
Motorcycle jackets typically found in black can be found in brown as well. With a black biker jacket, you’ll want to keep the rest of your look dark. An all black outfit, top to bottom keeps things casual and streamlined.
Meanwhile a brown leather jacket is prime to be dressed up with button up and necktie. Even still, these are rakish looks with a touch of refinement and complete masculinity. The answer is definitely, yes.
Leather Jacket Brands To Look At
Budget Options (Under $300)
- H&M Faux Leather Biker Jacket – $69.99
- ASOS Design Leather Racer Jacket – $127
- Topman Black Leather Biker Jacket – $300
- Barneys Originals Leather Jacket – $387 ($121 Sale)
- ASOS Design Faux Leather Jacket – $56
Mid-Level/Grail Options ($300+)
- Thursday Olive Suede Motorcycle Jacket – $399
- All Saints Mazo Leather Jacket –
- ASOS Selected homme Leather Racer Jacket –
- Peter Manning NYC Lambskin Leather Jacket –
- Lucky Brand Vintage Leather Jacket – $499
- All Saints Milo Leather Jacket (Best Seller)
- Schott Asset Leather Jacket – $1,170
- Saint Laurent Slim-Fit Biker Jacket – $4,990
3. The Denim Jacket
The denim jacket, also called a jean jacket and trucker jacket (popularized by Levi’s) is a classic style that’s been around since the late 19th century.
This vintage staple has since become an iconic piece in American fashion. If anyone tells you that denim jackets aren’t in style, they’re wrong because the denim jacket is a timeless jacket style.
Whether it’s dark wash, mid or light wash with vintage fades, the denim jacket remains a timeless staple not just in American fashion, but around the world.
How To Wear A Denim Jacket
The denim jacket is a fall favorite because it’s inherently casual and looks great with dressed down, relaxed outfits, but also looks great dressed up with a turtleneck or a necktie for example. It’s also one of my favorite summer jackets because of the wide variety of shades from dark to light.
Denim on denim of course is a bold move, but it can be done. Ensure there’s enough contrast between the shades of denim to avoid a Brokeback mountain vibe or if you’re going to match denim shades, stick with darker wash and a slim fit as it’s more of an elevated aesthetic. I feel like light wash denim on denim looks really tacky.
Another great denim jacket look is to pair it with a hoodie and distressed jeans for a more youthful, devil-may-care attitude.
Finally, denim jackets work great as a mid-layer in the winter time, worn under outerwear like a parka or coat that’s roomy enough for it to fit comfortably underneath.
Where To Buy A Denim Jacket
Budget Options (Under $100)
- ASOS Design Skinny Denim Jacket – $51
- UNIQLO Denim Jacket – $39.90
- Levi’s Trucker Jacket – $89.50
- Goodfellow & Co. Denim Trucker Jacket – $39.99
- J.Crew Blue Denim Jacket –
$100($50 Sale – One Left)
- Topman Washed Black Denim Jacket – $70
- Everlane Denim Jacket Uniform –
Mid-Level Options ($100-$300)
- A.P.C. Mid Denim Jacket – $290
- Nudie Jeans Slim-Fit Organic Denim Jacket – $190
- Rag & Bone Slim-Fit Denim Jacket – $295 ($88.50 Sale – One Left)
- Bonobos Stretch Denim Jacket– $128
Grail Options ($300+)
- Frame Distressed Stretch Denim Jacket –
$330($165 Sale – Low Stock)
- Officine Generale Raw Denim Jacket – $355
- Saint Laurent Blue Distressed Denim Jacket –
$1,490($596 Sale – One Left)
Quick note: If you’re enjoying this article on the 5 best jackets for men, then you’ll probably find my other writing on all things men’s style useful. Each week, I share updates, style tips and other things not shared on the blog through my free email newsletter.
To join now, just enter your email address below and click “Get Updates!”
4. The Harrington Jacket
The harrington jacket also known as blouson, and originally called the Baracuta G9, was popularized by Elvis Presley in the late 1950s.
It’s a lightweight, waist-length jacket made of cotton, polyester, wool blend or suede. A distinguishing feature of the Harrington jacket is its slanted flap pockets and tartan/checkerboard-patterned lining.
Olive and especially navy, are my two favorite colorways for the harrington jacket.
How To Wear A Harrington Jacket
This underrated menswear staple is perhaps my favorite of the 5 jacket types in this article. I love it so much because it’s casual, lightweight and just ultra-stylish.
Feel free to wear a harrington jacket with everything from casual sneakers to rugged boots. Layer it over top of a button down shirt, polo or sweater. It’s just as appropriate when paired with a tie.
You simply can’t go wrong with a harrington jacket in the spring and autumn, even into winter season.
Where To Buy A Harrington Jacket
Budget Options (Under $100)
- ASOS Design Navy Harrington Jacket – $48
- Topman Stone Harrington Jacket –
- ASOS Storm Vent Harrington Jacket – $48
- Goodfellow & Co. Harrington Jacket – $39.99
Mid-Level Options ($100-$300)
- Peter Manning NYC Harrington Jacket – $195
- Brooks Brothers Water-Resistant Harrington Jacket –
- J.Crew Harrington Jacket –
- Merc London Navy Harrington Jacket – $115
Grail Options ($300+)
5. The Field Jacket
The M-65 field jacket is standard issue military gear, evolved from the M-51. It sports multi-pockets, an olive-green color and was designed for war. It’s been worn by American soldiers in Vietnam to Arnold Schwarzenegger on the big screen.
This iconic military jacket gets major functional points, heritage points and of course style points. With a timeless, vintage design, the field jacket is every bit as American as blue jeans.
How To Wear A Field Jacket
Last, but not least, the field jacket is the only jacket style on this list that drapes a little bit longer. All of the other jacket types are cropped pretty short for a casual and modern aesthetic, whereas the field jacket, while still casual is markedly a rugged jacket.
The field jacket’s casual, loose and free-flowing aesthetic calls for endless layering combinations. Wear it over a thicker hoodie or cardigan sweater. Or dress it up with a button-down, necktie combo.
Additionally you can pile on the layers by throwing on a solid scarf or make the unexpected style move of wrapping your shirt around your waist. The field jacket’s never looked so civilian.
Where To Buy A Field Jacket
Budget Options (Under $200)
- ASOS Selected Homme Wool Field Jacket –
- Goodfellow & Co. Military Jacket – $55.99
- Bonobos Military Jacket –
- Brandit M-65 Field Jacket – $124.90
- J.Crew Field Mechanic Jacket – $198 ($118 Sale)
- Topo Designs Field Jacket – $129
- Peter Manning NYC Tribeca Field Jacket – $178
- Proof Navy Field Jacket –
- 1901 Cotton Field Jacket – $119
Mid-Level/Grail Options ($200-$500)
- Hartford Washed Poplin Field Jacket – $280
- Filson Tin Cloth Field Jacket – $475
- Alpha Industries M-65 Field Coat – $225
- Folk Assembly Field Jacket – $225
- PS Paul Smith Ripstop Field Jacket – $375 ($160 Sale – One Left)
WRAPPING THINGS UP
I hope this editorial helped explain why these 5 jacket styles are essential for all men. And that you got styling inspiration from all the curated looks. I purposely omitted certain styles like the double breasted pea coat because I see it more as a winter coat.
But feel free to reach out if you have any jacket recommendations to add to the lists.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on November 21, 2018. Updated for accuracy, comprehensiveness and the addition of a buying guide.
WHICH JACKET STYLE IS YOUR GO-TO? CHIME IN BELOW!
Or let’s continue the discussion over in the Gentlemen Within Private Facebook Community.
Looking forward to seeing you in there.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Get more posts like this plus style tips & advice delivered straight to your inbox.