We made it. Can’t believe I’m exactly 1 year in to this style blogging journey. The official launch was August 21st, 2016. I feel blessed to be running Gentleman Within and sharing my perspective on men’s style with you all. Read to the very end for a special surprise coming soon.
A QUICK REFLECTION
I probably would’ve launched much later if it weren’t for a push from Barron Cuadro of Effortless Gent. We met for a drink a week prior to my eventual launch and he made me set a deadline for a GO LIVE date. I said in one week and made good on that promise (thanks again Barron). I also have to thank Brock McGoff of The Modest Man—who gave me pre-launch feedback on my about page and first article on why style matters. His words of encouragement and advice helped nudge me forward in the ultra-early stages of the blog, and still till this day—can’t thank you enough.
In the beginning I was so focused on having a “perfect launch,” but I’ve learned that perfect is subjective. Perfect doesn’t exist. What’s more important is to get the work out there and continue iterating and improving with the next one. And so that’s the approach I will be taking into year 2. I hope to create quality content that informs, educates and inspires men to become their best dressed selves. I’m striving for quality, but also consistency. You may have noticed in year one I would post on random days of the week. Lately it’s Tuesdays and Fridays. Moving forward, if it’s one post for the week, it will be Tuesday. And if it’s two, then it will be Tuesday and Friday.
Of course I wouldn’t have made it to this point without support from family, friends, fellow bloggers/YouTubers, and select brands. I only listed a handful to begin with, then about a dozen, then a whole lot more. Upon reflection, I realized how many people left an impact on me this past year. Here they are.
- Ian Riley of Fit Man Style
- Rishi Chullani of The Dark Knot
- Alyssa Breeden of Home Sewn Home Goods
- Shane Dutka of The Bowtie Guy
- Carl Murawski of New England Style Consulting
- Ozeal DeBastos of No Permission Needed
- Andy Snavely of Primer Magazine
- Megan Collins of Style Girlfriend
- Hamza Khan of Casa Di Sartoria
- Brian Sacawa of He Spoke Style
- Ryan Magin of Handsome Guy Secrets
- Tanner Guzy of Masculine Style
- Ryan Michler of Order of Man
- David Ferree of Anson Belt & Buckle
- Kyle Ingham of The Distilled Man
- Nate Lewis of Iron & Tweed
- Kyle Boureston of Mantelligence
- Antonio Centeno of Real Men Real Style
- Aaron Marino of I Am Alpha M
- Claudia Cox of Text Weapon
- Nathan Adlam of Social Sage
- Peter DiCarlo of The Dapper Ninja
- Peter Manning, Jeff Hansen & Li Wang of Peter Manning NYC
- Vinnie Sikka of Deo Veritas
- John Haji & Shane Torrey of Gentleman’s Box
- Justin Song of Black Lapel
- Ethan Peck of Lokal Hotel
- Jay Amin of Damari Savile
- Bart Nydish & Sanford Nydish of Cobble & Hyde
- Vanessa Davoli & Craig Arthur Von Schroeder of Commonwealth Proper
- Joe Etim of Edge Signature
- Jay Fuller of FLXCUF
- Johanna Gonzalez of Totalleecase
- Fred Yoo of Ninja Sox
- Xiaoshan Jin of Cooper & Jin
- Thomas Brierton of Bryer Leather
- Samantha Aurilia of Diplomático Rum
- Pauline Nguyen of Ties.com
- Elisa Popescu of The Shameless Academy
- Raphael Schneider of Gentleman’s Gazette
- Christien Denzel of Sheddin
- Justin Jeffers of The Fine Young Gentleman
- Sabir M. Peele of Men’s Style Pro
- Brian Chan of Bchanism
- Travis White of Unkept Gentleman
- Dan Trepanier of Articles of Style
- Vasilis Stefanou of The Life Upgrades
- Justin Stenstrom of Elite Man Magazine
- Travis White of Unkept Gentleman
- Stephan Duquesnoy of Well Dressed
- Ivan Martinez of I&J Personal Style
- Heather Mackenzie of Luxe Specialty
- Hal Bloss of Hair by Hal
- Allison Hodges of Savvy Camel
- Susan Padron of Susan Padron Stylist
- Melisa Martinez of The Career Fashionista
- Kelsey McKee of Bells + Whistles
- Priyanka Setty of Paint The Town Chic
- Kasia Jaworski of Ampersand
- Sarah Moore of Smoorelovin
- Melissa Heidi of Skinny Affair
- Guru Kaur of Moda Ninja
- Audrey Lin of Brunch at Audrey’s
- Julia Dent of The Philly Photo Blog
- Chrystina Cappello of Chrystina Noel
- Erica Torres of ET Phography
- Sola Onitiri of Let’s Get Going
- Cassandra Le of The Quirky Pineapple
- Morgan Brown of mcbro_photo
- Lee Eschliman of Lee Eschliman
- Sarah Teichert of Sarah Teichert
- Sabina Advani
- Neftaly Cruz
- Carrie Graham
- Daniel Howard
- Kameron Brooks-True
- Carl Pinard
- Jon Rea
- Alexis Kisling
- Alaina Klaus
- Alanna Kennedy-Gorman
- Kristen Pilkiewicz
- Chris Rogers
- Jandrea Chau
- Meharvan Singh
Others I may have missed, I apologize!
If it weren’t for a support network, I wouldn’t be where I am today. So I want to thank all those who constantly remind me to stay the course, that good things are still yet to come. Many of you influenced me in ways that you’d never know, and it’s all appreciated, wholeheartedly.
My favorite thing about the blogging/YouTube community is the mutual respect and shared journey. There are those to aspire to be like and those just getting started. I’m inspired by all of them. They push me to give my all.
Finally, I want to thank YOU the readers for being here. Even if you just drop by every now and again or if you’ve been here since day one—your support means everything.
What to expect from Gentleman Within in Year 2:
- More lookbooks
- More product reviews
- More in-depth how-to’s
- More practical & helpful style tips & advice
- More documentation of my own style journey
What I hope for Gentleman Within in Year 2:
- Find my voice
- Community engagement
- 1,000 YouTube subscribers
- Brand partnerships and collaborations
- Focus on giving you the reader more of what you want (be on the lookout for a survey if you’re on my email list)
I’m no longer a rookie in this blogging game, but I’m still paying my dues and will continue to do so. It’s what keeps that chip on my shoulder that keeps me motivated and striving to better myself each day. Nothing worthwhile comes easy and I’m not looking for the easy road. To me it’s a long game.
I’m having fun immersing myself in the men’s style community and love crossing paths with so many like-minded people. Having fun is what matters the most. Let’s just hope there’s no sophomore slump.
Not only did Gentleman Within turn 1 today, but I recently hit a big milestone over on my Instagram account. 1,000 followers, say what!? I know it may not be that big of a number to some, but for me it is. It ain’t easy growing an audience organically in an authentic way. I’m well aware of many big name accounts that have bought their way to the top. Not cool, but they can do them and I’ll do me.
In celebration of Gentleman Within turning 1 and my Instagram hitting 1k followers, I will be running a giveaway towards the end of the week. If you’re on my email list, you’ll get it first. Stay tuned!
Can’t say it enough, but thank you for reading and your continued support. Time to put year one in the rearview. Year two, bring it on.
Special thanks to my buddy Morgan, for helping me pull together this last minute shoot. Go give his Instagram a follow.
Now my question for you is…
What would you like to see more of from Gentleman Within moving forward?
Feel free to contact me anytime or email me at khoi AT gentlemanwithin DOT com.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Get more posts like this plus style tips & advice delivered straight to your inbox.
Drop a Line!