What constitutes a men’s style essential? I’d say that the folks over at Mr. Porter are always in the know when it comes to trendy and timeless classics.
Timeless trends, though? A bit of an oxymoron, but this article features trends that we believe will stand the test of time.
In this article, we’ve provided 11 timeless spring & summer fashion trends for men, featuring core pieces from the Mr P. Collection. For the budget conscious, I’ve provided much more affordable alternatives as well.
Let’s get started.
Subscribe to the GW YouTube channel.
1. Spring And Summer Tailoring
As the warmer weather approaches, it’s hard to go wrong with some spring & summer tailoring. We’re talking about clean, casual suiting anchored primarily by the lightweight, unconstructed sport coat like a navy blazer. The linen button up shirt is also an excellent option to spruce up your spring and summer get ups.
Shop Spring & Summer Tailoring
- J.Crew Wallace & Barnes Chore Blazer in Cotton-Linen
- Spier & Mackay Sportcoat Collection
- UNIQLO Comfort Jacket (Long-Term Review Here)
- Favourbrook Slim-Fit Cutaway-Collar Slub Linen Shirt
- Kiton Herringbone Cashmere, Wool, Silk & Linen Blend Blazer
- Loro Piana Rain System Linen Blazer
- Hartford Camp-Collar Linen Shirt
To mix things up on those cooler spring and summer days, a flawlessly fitting denim jacket is a fine choice to keep an air of casualness while still remaining refined.
These are all clean fits to play with. Of course, it’s all in the little details when it comes to spring and summer tailoring. For example, a getup consisting of linen trousers, sueded out loafers and an odd jacket pairing is a superb summer fit.
» Related: You might like this in-depth Best Summer Fabrics Guide.
2. Basic Cotton T-Shirt
The basic tee is a forever classic that all men need in their spring and summer rotations. The timeless t-shirt always looks and feels right.
Shop Basic Tees
Any list of men’s spring and summer essentials is incomplete without a clean tee, whether you spend ten dollars or a hundred, you’ll want to have a handful of these in your regular rotation.
Related: Check out this guide on Best T-Shirts for Men.
3. Drawstring Pants
Casual and comfortable drawstring trousers fit the bill when it comes to spring and summer styling for those nonchalant, relaxed vibes. They’re more lightweight than sweats and chinos too. I recommend a beige, cream or blue in fabrics like lightweight cotton or linen.
Shop Drawstring Pants
Rock ’em with sandals or sneakers or for the more daring a pair of tassel loafers. Whatever you decide, drawstring trousers should have a stranglehold on your spring and summer rotations.
4. The Printed Camp Collar Shirt
The camp collar short sleeve shirt is and has always been underrated as a summer staple. This year I’m in ardent support of the camp-collar printed shirt for spring/summer. It’s as relaxed as you want to be, making it the perfect vacation shirt.
Shop Camp Collar Shirts
- Bonobos Relaxed Fit Camp Collar Shirt
- J.Crew Short Sleeve Camp Collar Shirt
- Banana Republic Cotton Resort Shirt
- Hartford Camp-Collar Linen White Shirt
- Orlebar Brown Travis Camp-Collar Floral Shirt
- Officine Generale Eren Camp-Collar Printed Voile Shirt
- NN07 Miyagi Camp-Collar Striped Shirt
- Mr P. Camp-Collar Printed Cotton Shirt
You can’t go wrong with bold stripes or floral prints for a casual, cool Italian influence. Combine it with a pair of relaxed pleated trousers and you have yourself a winning combination.
5. Pleated Shorts & Trousers
If you’re looking for that structured piece that can elevate your everyday outfits, look no further than a pair of pleated shorts and trousers. Mr. Porter really nails it when it comes to this spring and summer stalwart.
Shop Pleated Shorts
- Paul Fredrick Pleated Linen Short
- Roundtree & Yorke Pleated Washed Cotton Shorts
- De Bonne Facture Pleated Linen Shorts
- Mr P. Pleated Cotton-Twill Shorts
- Rubinacci Manny Pleated Cotton Shorts
Shop Pleated Trousers
- Bonobos Stretch Pleated Chinos
- Bonobos Pleated Chino
- Bonobos Pleated Stretch Wool Trousers
- Dries Van Noten Tapered Pleated Cotton Suit Trousers
- Umit Benan B+ Richard Tapered Pleated Silk-Twill Trousers
- Loro Piana Slim Fit Tapered Pleated Linen Suit Trousers
- Maison Margiela Slim Fit Tapered Pleated Linen Suit Trousers
The colors I recommend are olive and gray. What I like most about pleated shorts/pants is that their elegance can elevate more casual fits and lend and air of subtle sophistication to your summer getups.
6. Bomber Jackets
Ahhh, the classic bomber jacket. This is a trendy, yet still timeless outerwear garment that will never get old. Whether it’s a refined cotton bomber, varsity jacket or suede bomber jacket…you’ll be sure to stay styling in this spring/summer essential.
» READ MORE: How to Wear a Bomber Jacket (and Why it Works)
Shop Bomber Jackets
- ASOS Design Suede Bomber in Tan – MA1 Pocket
- ASOS Bomber Jackets Collection
- Everlane Bomber Jacket – Uniform
- Banana Republic Vegan Suede Bomber
- Polo Ralph Lauren Suede Gray Bomber Jacket
- Rag & Bone Manston Nylon Bomber Jacket
- A.P.C. Grégoire Gabardine Bomber Jacket
- Loro Piana Linen & Silk-Blend Bomber Jacket
What I love most about the bomber jacket is its versatility. You can easily dress it up or dress it down regardless of season. Especially in the spring and summer months, this is a jacket that will get you through long days and nights in effortless style, striking the perfect balance between statement and staple.
7. Loafers & Espadrilles
Whenever I think about warm and hot weather footwear, the loafer and espadrilles come to mind. An eternal classic, the suede or leather loafer’s allure lies in its versatility. Straddling the fence between casual and formal, the loafer looks superb suited up or with a more casual aesthetic.
Shop Loafers & Espadrilles
- Nisolo Huarache Espadrille
- Soludos Original Stripe Dali Espadrille
- Jay Butler Summer Loafers (Read the Review Here)
- Suitsupply Dark Brown Penny Loafer
- Loewe Suede and Full-Grain Leather Penny Loafers
- Loro Piana Chambray Espadrilles
- Rivieras Cotton-Mesh and Canvas Espadrilles
- Tod’s Gommino Suede Driving Shoes
- J.M. Weston 180 Moccasin Grained-Leather Loafers
Similarly a pair of canvas or knit espadrilles, though more casual than the loafer is suitable not only for its looks, but its functionality, keeping you cool and still stylish during the hottest of summer months.
Related: Check out this guide on Jay Butler Shoe Review.
8. Yellow & Gray Pantone (Bold & Muted Colors)
As a designer, I’m obligated to know what the trending colors of the year are. And for 2021, those colors are Ultimate Gray and Illuminating (yellow).
We’ve lived through perhaps one of the worst years in modern times, and so it’s only fitting that the boldest and brightest of colors takes the stage in illuminating yellow. Pair this with the muted yet solid, and dependable foundation of gray and you’ve got yourself a real winner.
Not only do these colors pair exceptionally well together, but this contrast of yin and yang makes for a statement that will silently shout all year long – to stand out without standing out. This is what I love about this combination.
Mr. Porter nails it, particularly with this linen blend shirt combined with the neutral striped shorts. Easy breezy for spring and summer. Trendy and timeless all at the same time.
9. Luxe Sweats (From Head To Toe)
Sure, some of us may be sick of sweats, but even as everything reopens and living life resumes, luxe sweats are in it for the long haul. Comfortable and considered luxe sweats can be styled up or down to suit your mood.
Shop Luxe Sweats
- Brunello Cucinelli Tapered Cashmere-Blend Sweatpants
- A.P.C. Melange Fleece-Back Cotton Jersey Sweats
- Express 24/7 Joggers
- Express Solid Double Knit Shorts
I recommend a classic gray or modern navy to keep you feeling just as good as you look. It’s all about the fit here, along with clean lines and clean drapes. Whether you’re lounging around or want something easy, yet stylish to wear to the airport, luxe sweats are the way.
10. Tortoise Shell Sunglasses
This isn’t just a spring or summer style essential, but a year-round staple. Sunglasses are my go-to whenever I’m out and about.
Shop Tortoise Shell Sunglasses
- Warby Parker Tortoiseshell Sunglasses Collection
- Tomahawk Shades The Hamptons Glossy Tortoiseshell Shades
- Christopher Cloos Passable Sunglasses Collection
- Ray Ban Wayfarer Ease Tortoiseshell
- Ahlem Grenelle Tortoiseshell Acetate Sunglasses
- Garrett Clement Tortoiseshell Acetate Sunglasses
- Gucci Aviator-Style Tortoiseshell Acetate Sunglasses
- Saint Laurent Tortoiseshell Acetate Gold-Tone Sunglasses
» READ MORE: Best Sunglasses for Your Face Shape
The tortoise shell pattern is one of my favorites, you can never go wrong here. I’ve featured some premium brands here as well as more affordable options suitable for any guy.
11. Open Toed Sandals
And last, but not least, we’re pushing for open toed sandals for spring and summer. Not flip flops, but sandals like these are an easy way to keep it lax and luxe at the same time.
Wear them with relaxed trousers or shorts and you’ve got a winning recipe. And yes, we even endorse the contentious yet enduring Birkenstocks.
Wrapping Things Up
And that wraps up this article on what we feel are timeless fashion trends for spring and summer. They’re all suitable for warmer weather and so you can wear them often and wear them well. I hope you enjoyed reading as much as we enjoyed putting this together.
WHICH OF THESE MEN’S FASHION ESSENTIALS IS ON YOUR LIST?
Let’s continue the discussion over in the Gentlemen Within Private Facebook Community.
Looking forward to seeing you in there.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Get more posts like this plus style tips & advice delivered straight to your inbox.