Sneaker trends in 2022 are nothing new — it’s just a renewal and resurgence of past styles — after all style and fashion is a cyclical beast.
While trends in the menswear space seemingly come and go by the seasons, it’s no surprise that sneaker culture changes just as quickly.
If you’ve followed Gentleman Within for a while now then you know that I like to preach timeless style and simplicity—leaning on the verge of minimalism.
I’m not huge on what’s trending out there, but I do feel it’s important to stay abreast of what’s going on because there’s inspiration to be had by keeping an eye on the style & fashion trends of today.
In this article I’m going to touch on trending sneakers for men in 2022, specifically the good, the bad, and yes the ugly. I personally like the Mr. Porter Sneaker Store and the Huckberry Sneaker Shop to stay up-to-date on the freshest kicks of today.
For my recommendations, let’s dive in.
WHAT’S THE LATEST TREND IN SNEAKERS?
So what are the trendy men’s shoes for that you’ll want to know about? That is the question we answer with this comprehensive article featuring 8 men’s sneaker trends that cover the gamut of what’s trending for men right now.
Subscribe to the GW YouTube channel.
Best Casual Sneakers For Men (The Good)
These are the best men’s casual sneakers, aka the good sneaker trends that I’m fully endorsing for 2022 and beyond. In this article, we will feature plenty more sneaker styles that you can rock and then provide examples of what you should look to avoid.
Let’s begin with minimalist men’s sneakers.
1. MINIMALIST SNEAKERS
Two words. Common Projects (in light brown, gray or my favorite, suede). The all-white trainer has been having a moment for a while now. The wildly popular shoes has given rise to a minimalist sneaker movement. An equally as clean yet premium sneaker (and more affordable) is the Koio Capri.
The clean and classic minimalist sneaker trend is currently a fan favorite, versatile enough to dress up with high end tailoring or dress down with athleisure or casual jeans. This makes white sneakers a must have in all men’s wardrobes.
The Greats Royale, classic Vans or Grand Crosscourt II are a quite popular, yet affordable options if you’re in the market for a pair. Another up and comer, established in 2018 is Cariuma, an eco-conscious, sustainable sneaker that’s stylish and on-trend brand for both men and women.
Check out our list of white trainers below, from budget to more premium and grail worthy options.
SHOP MINIMALIST SNEAKERS
- Cariuma OCA Low Off-White Canvas – $79
- New Republic Kurt Leather Sneaker – $79 (on sale $69)
- Cole Haan Grand Crosscourt II Sneaker – $150 ($64 on sale)
- Vans Authentic White Sneaker – $60
- Adidas Stan Smith Leather Sneakers – $57 (sale on Amazon $47)
- Adidas Supercourt Vegan Sneakers – $80
- Adidas Originals Continental Vulc – $65
- Adidas Continental 80 Shoes – $60
- H&M Premium White Sneaker – $69.99
- Converse Chuck 70 Low Top Sneakers – $80
- Reebok Club C85 White Sneakers – $70
- Converse Jack Purcell Leather Sneaker – $70
- Everlane Court Sneaker – $98
- Everlane Forever Sneaker – $58
- SeaVees Hermosa Sneaker Classic – $78
- Superga 2750 Cotu Classic White Sneakers – $65
- Allbirds Tree Pipers – $95
- Cole Haan Grand Series Jensen Sneaker – $112
- Cariuma Triple White Premium Leather – $139
- Veja Esplar Leather Sneakers – $140 (Amazon)
- Koio Capri Triple White Low Tops – $295 (on sale $236)
- Thousand Fell Men’s Lace Up – $120 (25% off + Free TF Recycle Hat on sneaker orders)
- Greats Royale Blanco – $179
- Greats Royale Knit – $119
- Greats Royale Eco Canvas – $99
- Allbirds Plant Pacers Casual Sneaker – $135 (made from tencel & mirum)
- Ace Marks Duke Sneaker – $224
- Oliver Cabell Low 1 White – $266 (on sale $199)
- Axel Arigato Clean 90 Sneaker – $230
- Beckett Simonon Reid Sneaker – $159
- Nisolo Everyday Lowtop Top Sneaker – $150
- M.Gemi The Palestra Uomo Sneaker – $248
- Common Projects Original Achilles Low – $309+
- Common Projects White BBall Leather Sneakers – $432 (Mr. Porter)
- Saint Laurent Andy Leather Sneakers – $725
- Saint Laurent Court Classic Logo Leather Sneaker – $745
- Tom Ford Cambridge Leather Sneakers – $890
- Moncler Neue York Leather Sneakers – $670
- Ascot x Charlie Essentials Collection – $361
- Givenchy City Sport Leather Sneakers – $595
- Alexander McQueen Exaggerated Sole Suede Trim Sneaker – $590
- George Cleverley Leather Sneakers – $505
- Brunello Cucinelli Suede-Trimmed Leather Sneakers – $595
At this point, solid white leather sneakers are ubiquitous in the world of menswear — a smart casual staple that’s going to be around for a while.
They even have minimalist high-tops like the Primo Roccia in suede. Furthermore, you could opt for an all white or beige canvas pair of low-top sneakers also known as skate shoes for a bit more of a casual vibe.
A drawback of white sneakers is that they get dirty easily, and I don’t recommend wearing them in rainy weather or grimy places.
Whether you’re on a budget or have a bit more to spend, I’ll provide my minimalist white sneaker recommendations below as well as some suede sneaker options.
View this post on Instagram
The Ace Marks Duke Sneaker (seen above) is a high-quality, premium white sneaker with a middle-tier price tag that’s worth taking a look. You can check out my Ace Marks review of the Duke Sneaker and Troy Chelsea Boots. And finally one more recommendation if you’re all about sustainability is the recyclable Thousand Fell lace up sneaker. And if you want to keep your white shoes clean and supreme, check out the Reshoevn8r cleaning kit. It’s a life saver.
2. BACK TO THE CLASSICS
You can never go wrong with the classics aka essential shoes for men. A majority of the shoe trends in this article will fall in and out of style over time, but it’s these classics that will continue to endure. Brands like Vans, Converse, Nike, and Adidas have been offering classic silhouettes for decades now.
A black and white pair like the Converse One Star or Vans Old Skool are affordably priced classics, prime for everyday casual wear. Alternatively, a pair of casual lace up running sneakers pairs exceptionally well with sweatpants, light or dark blue jeans. Then there’s the tried and true, classic Adidas Stan Smith (you can read my in-depth Adidas Stan Smith Review here). And finally we’ve got a trending up and comer in OluKai, offering Hawaiian inspired casual sneakers.
SHOP “THE CLASSICS” SNEAKERS
- Goodfellow & Co. Angus Vintage Sneakers – $32.99
- Adidas Stan Smith Shoes – $57 (sale on Amazon $47)
- Nike Pegasus 83 Premium – $105 (on sale for $67)
- Nike J.Crew Killshot 2 – $70 (sold out) (via Nike also sold out) (via Amazon available!)
- Nike Killshot OG – $90
- Vans Authentic 44 Deck DX – $80
- Vans Classic Slip-On 98 DX – $75
- Vans for J.Crew Canvas Sneakers – $60 (sold out)
- J.Crew Sperry Cloud CVO Deck Sneakers – $80
- Reebok Classic Leather Pre-School White Sneakers – $55
- Converse One Star Pro Low Top Skateboarding Shoe – $70
- Converse Chuck 70 Canvas High-Tops – $85
- OluKai Nanea Li Breathable Sneakers – $120
- Cariuma IBI Off-White Knit – $98
- Allbirds Dasher Runners – $125-$145
- Nike Internationalist Low By You Sneaker – $110
- Nike Unisex Fitness Sneaker – $140
- Autry Medalist Leather Sneakers – $195
- Beckett Simonon Morgen Trainers GATs – $159 (read the review here)
- Veja Urca Faux Leather Sneakers – $160
One of my favorite timeless silhouettes comes from Nike, specifically their Nike Internationalist Low that’s sleek and stylish, and designed in a myriad of colorways for extreme versatility. Another great pick is the ever popular, often sold out, Nike Killshot 2 with the gumsole.
Related: You might like this hands-on guide featuring some of the Best No-Show Socks for men.
Whatever the case, whether you’re rocking a pair of suede slip-ons or casual lace-up sneaks, you’re sure to keep things cool and comfortable.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Check out the Nike Killshot 2 lookbook video where I styled 5 casual outfits for men that you can get inspiration from or copy yourself.
3. TECH RUNNERS
According to Nike, “The Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 is the first fully-functioning athletic shoe that electronically adjusts to the contours of your foot via adaptive lacing technology—providing a personal, customized fit that makes it feel like an extension of your body.”
It’s this kind of boundary pushing technology that makes this sneaker trend more than just a trend, but instead, a model that is going to shape the footwear industry in the years and decades moving forward.
Before mentioning the tech runners, I do want to give a shoutout to the hiker, trail shoe that has the silhouette of a runner and the utility of a hiking boot. The TERREX Free Hiker 2 from Adidas is on point style wise and functional for those rugged expeditions, or simple hikes at your nearby mountain.
Now…many tech runner silhouettes are dress casual appropriate, like these Brunello Cucinelli leather-trimmed, stretch-knit sneakers. And then here are your more trainer-ready athletic sneakers, courtesy of Huckberry. Koio also released their brand-new Retro Runner that’s more modern than you’d think. And Brandblack has a new style-forward runner worth taking a look at.
Today’s performance tech runner up-and-comers include brands like On-Running which commands over 6.6% of the market share for performance shoes in the United States, and Brooks Running, which continues to steal market share from Nike and Adidas. And finally there’s the ever popular and fan favorite, Allbirds. They aren’t on sale often, but you can check current sales here.
These are my picks that are currently on sale for the fall season:
A word on shoe stink — I highly recommend this premium shoe spray that really does an amazing job at freshening up and eliminating sneaker odor.
SHOP TECH RUNNERS SHOES
On a Budget
- Allbirds Wool Runners – $95
- Huckberry Hiker/Runner Sneaker Hybrid – $75+
- Adidas Racer TR21 Shoes – $53
- Adidas Lite Racer Adapt 3 – $65
- Nike Free Run 2018 – $100 ($67 on sale)
- Nike Free Run 2 – $70+
- Nike Free Metcon 4 Training Shoes – $120
- Nike Pegasus 39 – $130 (25% OFF)
- Nike Zoom Runners – $120+
- Huckberry Saola Mindo Casual Sustainable Sneakers – $110
- Adidas Ultra 4D Shoes – $154
- Adidas Ultraboost 22 Running Shoe – $120
- Adidas Speedfactory AM4LDN Running Shoe – $129
- New Balance Fresh Foam 880 V12 Running Shoe – $135
- Brandblack Specter 2.0 in White Mesh – $250
- Allbirds Dasher Runners – $125-$145
- Brooks Ghost 13 Road Running Shoes – $130 ($109.95 on sale)
- Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21 Road Running Shoe – $130
- Brooks Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 – $130
- Hoka One One Clifton 8 Mesh Running Sneaker – $140
- On Running Cloud – $140+
- Nike Air Zoom Tempo – $200
- Nike React Phantom Run Flyknit 2 – $140
- Nike Flyknit Running Shoe – $150
- Nike Shox Gravity Bungy Running Sneaker – $198
- APL Athletic Propulsion Labs Techloom Running Sneakers – $165+
- Koio Retro Runner – $295
- Brunello Cucinelli Suede Trimmed Stretch Knit Sneaker – $795
- visvim FKT Runner in Suede, Leather, Nylon – $1,110
- Moncler Emilien Leather-Trimmed Stretch-Knit Sneakers – $495
- John Elliot Edition One Runner – $448
- Tom Ford Jago Neoprene, Suede and Leather Sneakers – $990
In fact, the HyperAdapt’s successor the Nike Adapt BB (released in 2019) improves upon its predecessor while coming in at a lower price point of $350 and a much sleeker silhouette. Imagine lacing up your sneakers with an app. Well now you can.
As of today brands are introducing cool sneakers with built-in waterproofing and ripstop fabrics. And these shoes aren’t just for runners or athletes either. They’re ideal sneakers to complement the ever popular athleisure style with their sleek silhouettes and knitted uppers.
With brands like Nike and Adidas pushing men’s sneaker tech forward, technology enabled and enhanced sneakers are merely in its infancy.
4. SUEDED OUT SILHOUETTES
Take all of the popular sneaker trends above, then throw in a little suede and we have our next sneaker trend for 2022.
We’re talking neutral, versatile ‘pops of color’ suede colorways. This season you can go for a light navy blue or light olive. They’re still neutral colors, but have more visual interest than a plain brown.
SHOP SUEDE SHOES
- Cariuma OCA Low Suede – $98
- Veja V-12 Suede Trimmed Leather Sneakers – $155
- PUMA Sueded Classic Shoes – $33.95
- Mr Porter Suede Sneakers Collection – $85+
- Tom Ford Cambridge Suede Sneakers – $890
- Golden Goose Ballstar Distressed Leather & Suede Sneaks – $575
- Christian Louboutin Louis Jr Orlato Grosgrain-Trimmed Suede – $749
- Fear of God Essentials Suede Sneakers – $250
- The Row Marley Leather & Suede Sneaker – $820
- Loro Piana Weekend Walk Suede-Trimmed Shell Sneakers – $795
- Brunello Cucinelli Suede Sneakers – $895
If you want to go bolder, opt for a darker olive, though not quite forest green. Or you can take things to the next level with a burnt orange or ochre pair of casual sneakers. These are all more exciting to wear than plain black or brown suede, at the same time they’re subdued enough to be versatile, standout pieces.
Additionally, suede adds texture and visual interest to simple yet stylish outfits. I actually prefer a little bit of suede on my sneakers, especially when it’s blended together with leather and a nice gumsole for example.
Quick note: If you’re enjoying this article on the latest sneaker trends for men, then you’ll probably find my other writing on all things men’s style useful. Each week, I share style tips, inspiration, deals and other things not shared on the blog through my free email newsletter.
To join now, just enter your email address below and click “Get Updates!”
Subscribe to the GW YouTube channel.
Coolest Men’s Shoes (The Bad)
We’ve talked about the good sneaker trends for 2022, but now it’s time for some of the bad. These aren’t the best shoes, although it’s not all that bad if we take a closer look.
The following trending sneakers are considered the “cool shoes” for men for the past couple of years and only look to be gaining steam as we head into 2022 and beyond.
5. CHUNKY SOLE SNEAKERS
It was only a matter of time before they reared their ugly heads back into the sneaker scene. They’ve been trending heavily all year among sneaker heads and fashion influencers and will only pick up steam in 2022. Although a shoe like this doesn’t have staying power and so it will probably fade away sooner than we think.
The maximalist bulky or chunky sneakers also known as dad trainers or ugly sneakers are a direct response to the minimalist sneaker trend. Brands like Balenciaga and Gucci to Nike and New Balance are rocking this trend hard right now. They’re not pretty with the worst of them introducing crazy colors to elevate these brick-like silhouettes into obnoxiously loud territory.
But with all the things wrong with this trend, there are a few bright spots. If you’re down to experiment with the bulky sole sneaker trend, then opt for a shoe with a sleek silhouette upper and a solid or neutral colors. It will help to tone down the chunky sole and ground the overall look.
A great current example of the chunky sole, dad trainer trend is the new Everlane Court Sneaker. The shoe launched in late-April 2019 to much fanfare. It’s a chunky soled sneaker that is actually wearable for most men. I was lucky enough that they sent me an early pair before launch and so I’ve been wearing them for the better part of this year. You can check out the full review and comparison of Greats vs Everlane. Everlane also has a new sneaker called the Court that’s more minimal than the original Tread.
SHOP CHUNKY SOLE SNEAKERS
Fashionable Shoes For Men (The Ugly)
Fashion is a cyclical beast that gives way to new trends on a seasonal basis. Before the wide leg trouser trend we had skinny jeans. And naturally, years of Vans and Common Projects have led us here.
These are the so called fashionable men’s sneakers right now in late-2019. To each his own, but these are trends that I wouldn’t want to be caught dead in. I’d avoid these ugly, trending sneakers at all costs.
6. UGLY TRAINERS
These things are utterly hideous. Living up to their name, ugly sneakers combine a bulky soled shoe with unnecessary embellishments, Ed Hardy-esque paint splatters, hand sketched art, and bold logos which is a category unto itself.
Do yourself a favor and avoid the ugly dad sneaker trend in 2022. Sure a tiny subset of fashion dudes (hypebeasters) are going to rock these unsightly horrors, but at least you won’t be looking back in 10 years thinking WTF was I wearing?
7. BOLD LOGO SNEAKERS
Regular Gentleman Within readers know that I’m not a fan of logos obnoxiously plastered on products. Leave it to high fashion to shout their brand name to the rooftops with bold logos emblazoned across the front of their shoes. It’s a status thing I guess. To them these are the coolest men’s shoes ever.
If you’re going to rock this trend, go with some New Balances or Veja, it’ll run you 10x less than a pair of Gucci, Prada or Givenchy sneakers and it’s a tried and true classic. Another excellent options that I’m diggin’ these days is from Rhude or Golden Goose with the ultra casual, skateboard inspired style sneakers.
8. A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING SHOE TREND
Finally to conclude this list of latest shoe trends for 2022, it’s time to throw in the kitchen sink.
This trend takes a little bit of everything and blends it into a single, unified sneaker trend that can actually work.
Take a sleek leather, mesh and suede upper in neutral colors and pair it with a slimmed down chunky sole and you’ve got a great looking shoe that stands out without screaming out. Take this Tom Ford Jago Neoprene, Mesh and Nylon Sneaker or Loro Piana’s 360 Flex Walk Sneaker for example. Quite the price tags, but look great, IMO. Here’s a more affordable take where Nike does it right too.
Sometimes throwing a ton of crap at the wall and hoping that it sticks can work out after all. I’m personally a big fan of mixing and matching textures when it comes to putting stylish and visually interesting outfits together. It works just as well with trendy sneakers.
SHOP THE KITCHEN SINK
Subscribe to the GW YouTube channel.
WRAPPING THINGS UP
There you have it, men’s sneaker trends 2022, the good, the bad and the ugly. I hope that this article helped to provide insight on what’s currently hot and what you can potentially experiment with moving forward into 2022 and beyond.
WHICH OF THESE SNEAKER TRENDS ARE YOU A FAN OF?
Let’s continue the discussion over in the Gentlemen Within Private Facebook Community.
Looking forward to seeing you in there.